Hiking in the Pyrenees by public transport(1) Pic du Midi
In this series of articles, I am going to write on the hiking travels that I have done in the recent 2 two year in the Pyrenees mountains, mostly the french part. The reason is that I found there are quite few related information on this, especially in English and in public transport (no car). During my two years in Toulouse, I travelled a lot this way (I don’t have a driving permit). I think it might be help who is in the same situation.
It is advised to call or check the website of the transport company when you plan the trip in case of changes.
The first trip is to Pic du Midi. This is the most famous peak in the french Pyrenees(not the tallest), because of the observatory at the top.
There are two ways to arrive here. For the weekdays, you can reserve a shared drive from Toulouse to Lourdes (this city itself is worth the visit, if you are interested in Catholique culture) . And from here you have bus from the bus station to La Mongie, a little village at the foot of Pic du Midi. You can find the schedule here: http://picdumidi.com/fr/footer/localiser-et-venir
For weekend and public holidays, you can reserve a shared ride on blablacar from Toulouse to Tarbes, and take the bus 944. http://www.keolis-pyrenees.com/lignes-regionales/les-horaires/ . You should only take the « Saison Estival » not the regular one.
Once you arrive at La Mongie, you have two choice, if you are not into hiking, you can pay the ticket for the cable car. The 15 minutes trip is very impressive with flying between two peaks.
If you are into a little hiking, you can follow the route below. Note: I advise you to hike the route to peak and get down by cable car, or else you might miss the bus returning to Tarbes, unless you want to sleep for one night in La Mongie.
Once you arrived at the Col de TourMalet, you can take the wider road up, and get to the peak with no troubles, or you can take my route, a little risky since it involving going through a very narrow road.
The Col de Tourmalet itself is quite amazing as well, it’s one of the most diffecult section of the famous Tour de France.
I will put some photos here as the ending.
This is what I am trying to do. Where are you other articles? thanks
ReplyDelete