My long and twisted adventure with Bootcamp on my Macbook Pro(early 2011) MC700

It all begins with something really simple. This macbook of mine has been serving me well since 2011.During this period, I have never had any problem software-wise of hardware-wise. It’s super fast and responsive, even allows me to play some video games like skyrim, more so after that I upgraded it with a Intel SSD and 10G in total of memory early 2012. However, after these four years, the battery is worn off. Since may, it can only last like 5 minutes. So I ordered a new battery on Amazon. Changing the battery was really easy, and it’s working like brand new… at least until, I tried to boot into my windows7, which was working totally fine the week before. So here begins my adventure of solving this problem.

Conclusion: I will put the lessons learned head of the article, when you use a Apple product, you’d better use it as it is. It quite painful to learn that Apple put all kind of restrictions to limit you for what you do. The best experience of Apple products comes from how it is. Don’t hack it like those open source software software. If you are looking for freedom. I suggest you to try Linux alternatives or even windows.


Pitfalls and solution: I found it more efficient to list all the pitfalls I had and how to work around it.

Bootcamp won’t run on MC700 with no optical dvd drive
modify the plist hidden in the Bootcamp assistant.
This allows you to create bootable usb drive. and partition you disk with bootcamp assistant.
El Capitan won’t allow you modify the plist file in a system software.
This is painful, I found no way to disable the rootless feature in El Capitan in the current beta5, I had to downgrade to Yosemite with my Time machine backup, I had to wait for about 4 hours. 
I hope Apple provide a way to disable the rootless. Please do not turn my Mac computer into a iPhone, that I need to jailbreak to get the freedom.
Macbook won’t boot in to external drive
Install a software called rEFIt, or the newer rEFInd, which allows you to boot into any drive that has a efi boot installation.
Read the manuel about the folder structure that is required by rEFInd, you can make you Mac boot into any disk.
Windows10 cannot operate on macbook disk
You should open the command line and use the diskpart utility to create partition extra.
The way I did it. I do everything on the GPT disk and EFI way, therefore there was no mbr involved 
Windows 10 boot failed
use bootrec or bcdedit to fix the boot information. « BCD »file 
You need to make sure run the command when the computer is started the same way as it will start up later. for exemple, if you run the command in VMWare mounted startup, it won’t work when you start up for real..


I saved a lot of wrong steps in the middle. Anyway, I am happy with my macbook with two system installed. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

周末发现的两样东西,和心理有关的。

QStringList related performance